Friday, April 1, 2011

Teaching Giving

Yesterday we made a grocery run to shop for food to donate to our local food pantry.  I like to try to do this every month, spending $20-$40 on dry goods.  Mia gets to do the shopping, but I stear her towards the generic brands to make my dollar stretch!  Consider not going out to eat 1x per month, and using that money towards purchasing food for families in need.  It's so easy! 


I personally think the best way to teach your kids values and life lessons is by example. Teaching my kids to be giving and generous is a parental goal of mine.  I also want them to recognize and appreciate all that they have, so to not take things for granted or act spoiled!  They have a good life and I want them to realize that and also recognize that other people may not be as fortunate.

I often remind my kids how 'lucky' they are to get to spend some much time with mommy (ha!) and how lucky they are to get to do so many fun things each and every day.  We don't bat an eye about going out to lunch or doing activities like the zoo or a bounce house.  I am really trying to drive this point home with Mia, so over the past few months I've gotten her involved in "giving" to those who are less fortunate.

A few things that we've done & that are easy to replicate are:
--Take food to a local Food Pantry (let kids do the grocery shopping)
--Donate used clothing/household items to Goodwill (have kids help to pack-up the items) 
--Donate used furniture to a Family/Youth Shelter (tell them how you're helping other families)
--Donate baby items (diapers, wipes, formula) through your local Lutheran or Catholic Services group who assist moms/babies in need
--Donate old toys (have kids choose the toys that they have out-grown)
--Adopt a Family at Christmas-time (let kids get involved in shopping for gifts to give the family)

I guess what we've been doing has been working...
The other day I was making a meal to take to a fellow Moms Club member who just had a baby.  I was telling Mia that the lasagna was for Miss Jennifer's family and we were taking over a nice dinner because she just had a baby.  Mia responded something like this: "and it's good to help people that don't have a lot of food.  we have A LOT of food.  we have food for dinner and breakfast and lunch and snacks.  miss jennifer doesn't have a lot of food, so we are feeding her."  Not exactly true, but I like the way she's thinking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment